Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer
I'm the original two-hearted brawler.
I gnaw the scrawny heads from prawns,
pummel those mute, translucent crustaceans,
wingless hummingbirds, salt-water spawned.
As the Catalonians do, I eat the eyes at once.
My brawny palms flatten their mainstays.
I pop the shells with my thumbs, then crunch.
Just watch me as I swagger and sprawl,
spice-mad and sated, then dabble in lager
before I go strolling for stronger waters
down to Sloppy Joe's.My stride as I stagger
shivers the islands, my fingers troll a thousand keys.
My appetite shakes the rock of the nation.
The force of my fiction makes the mighty Gulf Stream.
Campbell McGrath's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: water
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer by Campbell McGrath )
- provincial country, ademola oluwabusayo
- Winter in Sephora, Akash Justin Ovian
- Hopeless on Ice, Akash Justin Ovian
- Dance of the Bodhisattva, Akash Justin Ovian
- Questions, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- reflection, lee fones
- AN ODE TO AUTUMN, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Remote Control War, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- African Voter?, Gedion Onyango
- Weakness In Me, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- November, Thomas Hood
- Ample make this bed., Emily Dickinson
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)