Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer
I'm the original two-hearted brawler.
I gnaw the scrawny heads from prawns,
pummel those mute, translucent crustaceans,
wingless hummingbirds, salt-water spawned.
As the Catalonians do, I eat the eyes at once.
My brawny palms flatten their mainstays.
I pop the shells with my thumbs, then crunch.
Just watch me as I swagger and sprawl,
spice-mad and sated, then dabble in lager
before I go strolling for stronger waters
down to Sloppy Joe's.My stride as I stagger
shivers the islands, my fingers troll a thousand keys.
My appetite shakes the rock of the nation.
The force of my fiction makes the mighty Gulf Stream.
Campbell McGrath's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: water
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer by Campbell McGrath )
- Incense On Fire, sallam yassin
- The Canine, Justin Reamer
- Remaining In The Shadows, brandy taffner
- Pride and Devotion, R B Seals
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)