Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer
I'm the original two-hearted brawler.
I gnaw the scrawny heads from prawns,
pummel those mute, translucent crustaceans,
wingless hummingbirds, salt-water spawned.
As the Catalonians do, I eat the eyes at once.
My brawny palms flatten their mainstays.
I pop the shells with my thumbs, then crunch.
Just watch me as I swagger and sprawl,
spice-mad and sated, then dabble in lager
before I go strolling for stronger waters
down to Sloppy Joe's.My stride as I stagger
shivers the islands, my fingers troll a thousand keys.
My appetite shakes the rock of the nation.
The force of my fiction makes the mighty Gulf Stream.
Campbell McGrath's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: water
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer by Campbell McGrath )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Poetry Of This Night, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Is Scrapbooking, Dexsta Ray
- Avoid The Android, Erhard Hans Josef Lang
- So To Differentiate (False Humility), Dexsta Ray
- Sincere Effort, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- LA PREMIÈRE FOIS, Rosie Bourget
- Drunk, Abby Sze
- So is Love, Jayatissa Liyanage
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear
- À TOI, Rosie Bourget