Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer
I'm the original two-hearted brawler.
I gnaw the scrawny heads from prawns,
pummel those mute, translucent crustaceans,
wingless hummingbirds, salt-water spawned.
As the Catalonians do, I eat the eyes at once.
My brawny palms flatten their mainstays.
I pop the shells with my thumbs, then crunch.
Just watch me as I swagger and sprawl,
spice-mad and sated, then dabble in lager
before I go strolling for stronger waters
down to Sloppy Joe's.My stride as I stagger
shivers the islands, my fingers troll a thousand keys.
My appetite shakes the rock of the nation.
The force of my fiction makes the mighty Gulf Stream.
Campbell McGrath's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: water
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer by Campbell McGrath )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- chibok girls, ademola oluwabusayo
- Inaudible Words, Naveed Akram
- Russell's Loss, Paul Hartal
- Truth Lies - Kid's Stuff -howtobuilddefe.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Man I Met, Buxton Shippy
- The Penance Of Unguarded Selfishness., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Plants Hurt, Naveed Akram
- My love for my birth land, binod bastola
- Critically Evaluating…Lois Lerner's 'Tru.., James B. Earley
- My wondrous dream, Nalini Chaturvedi