Heaven Was Always Waiting For You
You lived like a bird in full song
With a comforting and kind tune.
There were tough times when you became a wife,
Getting used to stony silences,
Trying to weave a peaceful life,
Your loving nature steered a course,
Away from cruel strife.
Always in your thoughts was your childhood home of Carrick,
In the rolling landscape of County Offaly,
Happiness came easily with your seventeen brothers and sisters,
Picking wild blackberries and loganberries while walking back from school
Across the fields,
Hungry for your mother's home cooked meals,
Trees majestic, bluebells, snowdrops and primroses,
Delicate and strong peeping through the long grass,
Even on misty days, there was always sunshine,
Reflecting from the heart of just a lass.
Tears flowed forever when your beloved mother departed,
Memories that later you would lovingly chart.
Charles waltzed into your life and was the leading part,
Handsome with charm he hid dark demons,
Switching from warm words to unkind,
Hard days with painful joints to endure,
You fought a battle with a smile so pure.
You were in our lives from the start,
I remember you loved the colour blue
Wearing elegant dresses with a shiny brooch,
Looking after us all, enjoying reading and writing long letters,
A nanny couldn't be better.
Blue round eyes soaked in truth and your roots,
You gave all the good that was deep inside of you,
You lived a life so true
Heaven was always waiting for you.
Hazel Durham's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Heaven Was Always Waiting For You by Hazel Durham )
Did you read them?
- No bounds, hasmukh amathalal
- Childhood Anger, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Red and White, michael walkerjohn
- Just Rats, John Shea
- Entrails, michael walkerjohn
- Bad luck and story, hasmukh amathalal
- 1 [Tears] (Neverending Poetry - Personal.., Lenny Orlando Camacho
- You're The Best..., Almedia Knight Oliver
- Only In My Dreams (Regional Korea), Ronald Chapman
- Being Realistic, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)