John W. McEwers
Haven't Been Having Much Good
Another twinkling star mocks the darkness on my porch,
where I tip a high life and pour it down my throat.
I live in the deserted shadows of your hand-me-down love.
There were moments I missed, pinpoints of time-light
which skipped perception and stampeded straight to foggy memory.
Quietness between us. An ignored question, a roll of the eyes.
They weren't but moments, but their ghosts stuck,
lingered across my thoughts like jet contrails,
the ear-ringing echo of a spent alarm.
Now I'm all beer and no belly. Dark to the touch,
nibbling on salami and sucking down forget-you juice.
I'm empty, and haven't been having much good.
But I'm a lover-poet-warrior-man,
and I'll stand here on this porch till the slats buckle
and I sink into muddy earth, forget the dark,
despite the chill wind icing my cheeks
and the spilled beer
and the twinkling stars
and despite your being gone
and despite your being happy
with my faint family, forsworn to me,
the faces of my children a flickering image
like a dead television channel
I'll choke down the high life
and wake up with another poem
ready to spread its arms
and welcome the resistant world.
Maybe good things will get better soon hopefully,
but until then
I am John,
a man who doesn't need you,
KATE! ! !
John W. McEwers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Haven't Been Having Much Good by John W. McEwers )
- Result of chemistry, gajanan mishra
- Living By His Grace, Gbolagade Taiwo
- To See This Giant, David McLansky
- Atmosphere Of Delight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Raggle`, Frank Avon
- A New Light Bulb, Theorem The Truth Serum
- Loving An Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ostrich - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Nothing is faulty, gajanan mishra
- Silent Scream, Vivek Tiwari
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)