Did you lay early in the morning on the dewed grass
just to see the drops clinging like honey-dew
to a spider’s web?
Have you buried your nose in a rose bud
to preserve the smell in your heart,
when the smell reminds you about someone very special
who trusts you in love?
Have you smelled oats ready to be harvested,
how couch-grass smells after been cut by a sickle
and have you held the blue flowers in your hand?
Have you lost your heart in the bush-veldt
when the earth smells of the sun and heat
and life leaves deep tracks in your heart,
when you find yourself in the kingdom of thorn trees
and try to remember it later.
Have you lost your heart in a gardenia
or did go and greet a marigold
when its small head turns to the sun.
It’s where I find myself
in my calling to silence
in the hour where I meet the Lord;
it is what I want to retain.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Have you by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Waves of customers inside those stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Leading Me Home, Heather Burns
- She's mad at me today, Louis Borgo
- An Event, Heather Burns
- Hiding In The Open In Her Room, Is It Poetry
- All Hallows Eve, David Lewis Paget
- The Devil Twists God's Words & Desires., Tom Zart
- Naturality, michael walkerjohn
- time, lee fones
- I Saw You Today, Raven McCall
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- If I Knew Someone Cared, Nicole Rawls
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- CHERYL winter
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)