What might you have been?
Grown up, what might you have become,
your ochres, pinks and greens?
A soarer of the skies? A songster? Fa!
Some kind of bunting?
In this neighborhood, I doubt it.
Liklier another irid thief
calling its shriek a song:
on the chops of the Spring
busily stuffing its crop.
But pity, please,
its our human duty to bewail
all lost potential
if only for a sec,
if we the same expect.
So, so long, little hatchling
off the rail brushed in a heartbeat
to rot amid the tares below-
the fare of crows-
for what more can we do?
Little morsel, so long.
Nothing will ever set you
back on your perch
or pry your mouth open in song.
Godspeed. It's a long ways down.
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hatchling II by Morgan Michaels )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Giving Entire Being, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Of This Night, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Is Scrapbooking, Dexsta Ray
- Avoid The Android, Erhard Hans Josef Lang
- So To Differentiate (False Humility), Dexsta Ray
- Sincere Effort, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- LA PREMIÈRE FOIS, Rosie Bourget
- Drunk, Abby Sze
- So is Love, Jayatissa Liyanage
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear