So there's my year, the twelvemonth duly told
Since last I climbed this brow and gloated round
Upon the lands heaped with their wheaten gold,
And now again they spread with wealth imbrowned -
And thriftless I meanwhile,
What honeycombs have I to take, what sheaves to pile?
I see some shrivelled fruits upon my tree,
And gladly would self-kindness feign them sweet;
The bloom smelled heavenly, can these stragglers be
The fruit of that bright birth and this wry wheat,
Can this be from those spires
Which I, or fancy, saw leap to the spring sun's fires?
I peer, I count, but anxious is not rich,
My harvest is not come, the weeds run high;
Even poison-berries, ramping from the ditch
Have stormed the undefended ridges by;
What Michaelmas is mine!
The fields I sought to serve, for sturdier tilage pine.
But hush - Earth's valleys sweet in leisure lie;
And I among them wandering up and down
Will taste their berries, like the bird or fly,
And of their gleanings make both feast and crown.
The Sun's eye laughing looks.
And Earth accuses none that goes among her stooks.
Edmund Blunden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Harvest by Edmund Blunden )
- Near faint beneath golden limes, Mark Heathcote
- Sakat Repertuar, Muzaffer Akin
- Caressing Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Slipping Away, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waiting In Revlon's Waiting Area, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mother & Daughter, Taimane Fanene
- Is This Love, John Foster
- Time without beginnings a better fiend, Mark Heathcote
- Pain Behind a fake Smile, Curtis Brown
- Faiths gate opens on a garden of peace, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(1612 – 16 September 1672)