Dr John Celes
‘Happy Birthday, Mahatma Gandhiji! ’
Our Father of the Indian soil,
You got us freedom with your toil;
All life, you burnt the midnight-oil;
Your Freedom Struggle, none could foil!
What simple life, you led on earth!
Your humbleness was seen from birth;
Such greatness stands always a dearth;
To you, all Indians owe our mirth!
O Mahatma, you’re live today,
In hearts of earthlings to this day;
You showed an exemplary way;
Your sacrifice, none can repay!
Although you were a simple boy,
You won us freedom we enjoy;
You persevered with your own ploy,
And made the British gun, a toy!
Your love for us, we won’t forget;
Great men like you, may we beget;
Free nation from all foreign debt;
To you, we owe our lives, we bet!
May heaven give you lasting peace;
May global Indians live with ease;
May earthlings live without disease;
May wars on earth totally cease!
We love you Father Gandhiji!
We’ll live upto your dreams surely;
We miss you very much truly;
We promise to do our duty!
Copyright by Dr John Celes 2-10-2009
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (‘Happy Birthday, Mahatma Gandhiji! ’ by Dr John Celes )
- Riding Through Edges, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Corset, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Between me and You, Rathna nagaraja
- Concepts 24, Somanathan Iyer
- Wind and storm, Somanathan Iyer
- Artistic Eye, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 9 June 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Hiding Behind Masks, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Will, Kathryn Tyler King
- 6 June 2014, Shri R Brahma
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1861, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)