An explosion goes off in front of me,
loud as thunder and quick as lightning,
and it hits like a speeding locomotive.
The wound rips through the chest,
exposing tissue, sinew, muscle,
It is dripping,
a sanguine waterfall,
that pours our red,
a liquid of memory and phobia,
falling down to stomach,
I feel myself begin to fall,
but where will I go?
Surely the stone-cold concrete,
is not an end.
Will I go to paradise?
Or maybe the sheer utter blackness,
of pure nothing?
All of it is possible.
I hit the ground,
and there is no pain,
other than a dull sting in my chest,
which emanates from the bullet-hole,
that was once filled with life,
and the floor and I,
become one and cold together.
Maybe, after all this, I will blossom 10,00 years,
in the Kingdoms of Heaven?
Or Maybe I will rot 10,000 years,
in the mud-pits of Hell?
Question upon question,
but it doesn't matter,
because the world is looking flatter,
from my coffin-on-the-ground perspective.
Maybe I'll be a tree,
a little oak grown from a grave,
out of my gunshot wound,
this being the fate that won the afterlife,
out of all the others.
Nicholas Peter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gunshot by Nicholas Peter )
- Dark Sea Of Dreams, Lilly Emery
- Poetry Is Where You Find It V, Frank Avon
- Godspeed, Heipeuding Ilunglung
- Different things in life anytime and any.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Different things in life anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Different things in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- History and geography, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Laud The Lord, Donald R Charon
- RELEASED TO LOVE AGAIN, Donald R Charon
- SIMPLY US, The lonely wanderer
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)