An explosion goes off in front of me,
loud as thunder and quick as lightning,
and it hits like a speeding locomotive.
The wound rips through the chest,
exposing tissue, sinew, muscle,
It is dripping,
a sanguine waterfall,
that pours our red,
a liquid of memory and phobia,
falling down to stomach,
I feel myself begin to fall,
but where will I go?
Surely the stone-cold concrete,
is not an end.
Will I go to paradise?
Or maybe the sheer utter blackness,
of pure nothing?
All of it is possible.
I hit the ground,
and there is no pain,
other than a dull sting in my chest,
which emanates from the bullet-hole,
that was once filled with life,
and the floor and I,
become one and cold together.
Maybe, after all this, I will blossom 10,00 years,
in the Kingdoms of Heaven?
Or Maybe I will rot 10,000 years,
in the mud-pits of Hell?
Question upon question,
but it doesn't matter,
because the world is looking flatter,
from my coffin-on-the-ground perspective.
Maybe I'll be a tree,
a little oak grown from a grave,
out of my gunshot wound,
this being the fate that won the afterlife,
out of all the others.
Nicholas Peter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gunshot by Nicholas Peter )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou
- Our Last Meeting, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A Lie, Leong Ming Loong
- Should I forget?, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- thoughts of you, Dorsey Baker
- Our call, Soumita Sarkar Ray