Julie A Smith
Grateful (God is my rock)
You gave me peace
when I was home
and not feeling well.
I opened the bill
at the late fee
marked on it.
for a bill
that I mailed
15 days early,
which somehow took
How is that even possible?
Would the Pony Express be faster?
There must be a reason,
perhaps a problem
that no one wants to admit.
But assessing me
a late charge
is grossly unfair.
But as I pondered
and frustration and a financial lament
was threatening to arise,
then something changed.
touched my heart
and for once
I did not freak out.
Thank You, Lord,
for your peace
in one more storm
that seems to be never ending.
You are my rock.
You are my shelter.
You are my strength.
You love me in spite of all my faults and failures.
You created me.
You care about me
and that is not just a myth
or a fairytale
of an idyllic girl.
And for all of that
and for so much more,
I am grateful.
Julie A Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Also, on a completely different note, my Mom was a postal carrier for almost my entire life. I have an overwhelming respect for the trials that postal carriers go through, from dog bites, to falls, to dealing with weather elements like ice and snow. Thus, when referencing the Pony Express, I am not trying to be unkind, but rather I am expressing a frustration with the apparent unreliability and slowness of the U.S. postal service regarding one specific situation (i.e. delivery of my bill that should not have been late) . However, perhaps the fault does not lie with the U.S. postal service. Currently it is a mystery.
Comments about this poem (Grateful (God is my rock) by Julie A Smith )
- The horror show., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Spring, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love for gramma, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cogs in Clockwork, Curtlan Popo
- The bike ride, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The morning sun., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I bleed., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will She, Harold R Hunt Sr
- You guess, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Beat o matic., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Poetry, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)