Grandma's Quilted Garden
Designed and stitched together, seamless years ago,
It's blooms seem always brightest midst the wind and snow.
My grandma's quilted garden quells the frosty night,
Small hexagonal pieces shape the flowers bright.
The many colored petals, yellow, blue, and red,
Have chased the fevered chills and soothed the aching head.
They've rocked the restless baby snuggled for a nap,
And touched a broken heart when tucked across a lap.
I see her cotton curtains, aprons, and much more,
A cheery splash of sun that greets her kitchen floor.
And all the smidgen pieces, saved to make the quilt,
Found favor in a place where posies never wilt.
There live my grandma's foxglove, pinks, and purple sage,
I see her smiling, putting rainbows in a vase.
A tiny stain, a loosened seam, a wand'ring thread,
Still lifting spirits with it's blossoms on the bed.
Grandma's quilted garden does graciously survive,
Keeping life's brief moments enduringly alive.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Grandma's Quilted Garden by Connie Yost )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Sorry, Sorry, Sorry To Say That, Pijush Biswas
- Let Me Stand Here, gajanan mishra
- Quack, Quack says the Duck, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Another Christmas (without you), Marites C. Cayetano
- What Is Life, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Open Door, Natalie Nicole Story
- Savages, Sally Matthews
- The Afterthought, Dankaro Osazee
- In a Gallery of Birds, Salvatore Ala
- Passenger, Georgina WilksWiffen