Going Down In Ships
Going down to sea in ships
Is a glorious thing,
Where up and over the rolling waves
The seabirds wing;
Oh, there's nothing more to my heart's desire
Than a ship that goes
Head-on through marching seas
With streaming bows:
Would you hear the song of the viewless winds
As they walk the sky?
Come down to sea when the storm is on
And the men stand by.
Would you see the sun as it walked abroad
On God's First Day?
Then come where dawn makes sea and sky
A gold causeway.
Oh, it's bend the sails on the black cross-yards
For the day dies far
And up a windless space of dusk
Climbs the evening star . . .
Now there's gulf on foaming gulf of stars
That lean so clear
That it seems the bastions of heaven
Are bright and near
And that, any moment, the topmost sky
May froth and swim
With an incredible bivouac
Of seraphim . . .
O wide-flung dawn, O mighty day
And set of sun! . . .
O all you climbing stars of God,
Oh, lead me on!
Oh, it's heave the anchor, walk and walk
The capstan 'round -
Far out I hear the giant sea's
Harry Kemp's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Going Down In Ships by Harry Kemp )
- Happy birthday late Mum, Adewale Ajakanri
- Dark Room, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Then you go inside yourself., RIC S. BASTASA
- There's No Escaping Family, A.J. Kent
- the mother sparrow, RIC S. BASTASA
- fed up of hiding the sadness and anger, xenalee haynes
- The Milennium Park, Tony Adah
- don't you dare send me a postcard, Mandolyn ...
- there is a way to write to make you unde.., RIC S. BASTASA
- in Vietnam i had noodles, RIC S. BASTASA
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)