‘Godavari’ the southern Ganges, could get love of hers,
very closed where she born, less than hundred kilometres.
She wanted a hero, Bay of Bengal son of Pacific Ocean.
Preferred to go thousand miles to reach her superman.
She did this because her children are living in the east,
had to provide habitation to them; food, water to subsist.
Millions children depend on her, they dwell on her banks.
She helps irrigation; fishing, ecology and vegetation lends.
The largest river of South India, named also as ‘Gautami’.
As said, is an offshoot of Ganges, brought by ‘Gautam Rishi’.
Hindu’s great pilgrimage exists at bank of this sacred river.
Many millions people take dip and purify in her holy water.
Originating from ‘Brahmagiri’ hills near ‘Trimbakeshwar’ town
which is most sacred place for Hindus, their pilgrimage crown.
For ‘Kumbh’ holy bath to wash their sins, millions come down.
S.D. TIWARI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Godavari by S.D. TIWARI )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Variations, Kewayne Wadley
- T, Vinaya Joseph
- माँ गंगा Maan Ganga (Hindi), S.D. TIWARI
- Blessings, Dr. Prabir Acharjee Nayan
- A Happy Poet, REALLY?, Sandra Feldman
- Each Day I Live a Life and Die!, Monk E. Biz
- If Compassion were in Fashion! (Nudity), Monk E. Biz
- Green Flag, Nassy Fesharaki
- My Forest is not Deep, But it is Green, Monk E. Biz
- Know the Depth of the Forest~~~, Monk E. Biz