Our teacher told us one day he would leave
And sail across a warm blue sea
To places he had only known from maps,
And all his life had longed to be.
The house he lived in was narrow and grey
But in his mind's eye he could see
Sweet-scented jasmine clinging to the walls,
And green leaves burning on an orange tree.
He spoke of the lands he longed to visit,
Where it was never drab or cold.
I couldn't understand why he never left,
And shook off the school's stranglehold.
Then halfway through his final term
He took ill and never returned,
And he never got to that place on the map
Where the green leaves of the orange trees burned.
The maps were redrawn on the classroom wall;
His name was forgotten, it faded away.
But a lesson he never knew he taught
Is with me to this day.
I travel to where the green leaves burn
To where the ocean's glass-clear and blue,
To all those places my teacher taught me to love
But which he never knew.
Brian Patten's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Geography Lesson by Brian Patten )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
Poem of the Day
- A Fish in a Coloured World, Rohit Sapra
- Nature is a Beautiful Creation, Rohit Sapra
- Survivors, Tamara Mirianashvili
- Salve, Cee Bea
- Quatrain number 5, Leong Ming Loong
- Bachelorette for Life, Donal Mahoney
- Engaged, Sarah Wiltshire
- The Call Of Two Trumpets, Tony Adah
- I sleep, gajanan mishra
- I Looked Up At The Sky And Didn't See You, Kyle Schlicher