“I like cars with big butts’ she said.
“The ones with soft interiors and big joysticks
That you hold while racing down at 70 mph
Down straight highways swerving through bylanes
And bursting into breeze and wide open spaces! ”
Spent. The exhausts thunder. Throttles down and grazing
Hear the sound of engines purring?
“I like the old Mustangs” she said
“They growl back at you throttle deep,
Crunching up the pussycats
Mewing on the slow lane”
“I like tequila that’s naughty
No aftertaste, a coupla shots
A hot bonnet to warm you back
And a piston that does a six stroke
As we race to a finish on the salt lakes”
“ Don’t you like Mercedes? ” I softly queried
“ Nah” she replied curtly.
“ But it starts with an M too? ”
“Oh yeah, its got no twang in it though! ”
I surrendered to the sound of giggles.
We pulled up near a parking lot
And she slid into a vacant slot
Both butt and front touching.
Menagerie of cars parked perfectly.
I admired her driving skill.
Marshall Gass's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Yeah, its about cars. Get your mind outta the gutter will ya?
© Marshall Gass. All rights reserved.
Comments about this poem (GearShift by Marshall Gass )
- पापा, sushant jha
- पापा, sushant jha
- Resurgence, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Returning from the Broken Mirror Myth, Gabriel Sumon
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)