We are blessed with many freedoms in America, we should count them every day
Because in many countries of the world these freedoms have been stripped away.
We are free to choose our leaders and though they often cause us shame
In the end because we’re free to choose we only have ourselves to blame.
The press is free to report the news into our homes and haciendas
Yet it seems today the different news agencies have their own agendas.
We are free to worship any God or no God, win or loose
Yet we’re not as accepting of others if a different God they choose.
We are free to speak our minds and accept any consequences that may ensue
Yet we usually don’t like other people who hold different points of view.
We are free to bear arms across this land but the number of innocents afflicted
Has caused many to feel uncertain and wonder if that right should be restricted.
I believe our freedoms, as wonderful as they are, have caused an unsolvable riddle
For it appears our freedom to choose has split this country down the middle.
It makes one wonder if these two sides will ever get along
While each side thinks that they are right and the other side is wrong.
Still these very freedoms we all fight about are the freedoms we adore
And what our soldiers, since this country began, have continued fighting for.
I think we should remember another freedom, yes I think it would be wise
If we all remember we also have been blessed with the freedom to compromise.
When we forego compromise, when we ignore this small detail
A country with the freedom to succeed becomes one doomed to fail.
To me freedom is a lot like love: it’s a gift and a blessing to be free
And like love, unless it’s nurtured...becomes a faded memory.
If we don’t want that to happen, then we must take this burden on
So our children will still be free to count their blessings after we are gone.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Freedoms by Jim Yerman )
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tears of Eyes Speak The Truth, Rohit Sapra
- Goose bumps / song, Mark Heathcote
- The Chameleon, Sir Toby
- A game of Love, Sir Toby
- As I would like to grow old (to my Mother), Gianfranco Aurilio
- The StrongMan's Lethal, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns