Fragments From Notes On The Book Of Defeat
If an audience could be arranged
and also my safe return
this is what I'd tell the Sultan
This is what he'd learn:
O Sultan, my master, if my clothes
are ripped and torn
it is because your dogs with claws
are allowed to tear me.
And your informers every day are those
who dog my heels, each step
unavoidable as fate.
They interrogate my wife, at length,
and list each friend's name.
Your soldiers kick and beat me,
force me to eat from my shoes,
because I dare approach these walls
for an audience with you.
You have lost two wars
and no one tells you why.
Half your people have no tongues.
What good their unheard sigh?
The other half, within these walls,
run like rabbits and ants,
If I were given safety
from the Sultan's armed guards
I would say, O Sultan,
the reason you've lost wars twice
was because you've been walled in from
mankind's cause and voice.
Nizar Qabbani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fragments From Notes On The Book Of Defeat by Nizar Qabbani )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- [ABC]Watch Pretty Little Liars Season 5 .., Renz Barns
- Australia Day - 26 January 2015, Danny Draper
- Elope, Salleh Chowdhury
- Journey's End, Raymond A. Foss
- Dimly Lighting The Way, Margaret Alice Second
- Threads of Her Journey, Raymond A. Foss
- A Journey of Treasure, Raymond A. Foss
- spinning 2 StAnd $tiLL - can i cHaRge it?, sEaN nOrTh
- un-nerves sh#t - sweet child of mime, sEaN nOrTh
- The Wise Man, Brian J. Stafford