Fragments From Notes On The Book Of Defeat
If an audience could be arranged
and also my safe return
this is what I'd tell the Sultan
This is what he'd learn:
O Sultan, my master, if my clothes
are ripped and torn
it is because your dogs with claws
are allowed to tear me.
And your informers every day are those
who dog my heels, each step
unavoidable as fate.
They interrogate my wife, at length,
and list each friend's name.
Your soldiers kick and beat me,
force me to eat from my shoes,
because I dare approach these walls
for an audience with you.
You have lost two wars
and no one tells you why.
Half your people have no tongues.
What good their unheard sigh?
The other half, within these walls,
run like rabbits and ants,
If I were given safety
from the Sultan's armed guards
I would say, O Sultan,
the reason you've lost wars twice
was because you've been walled in from
mankind's cause and voice.
Nizar Qabbani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fragments From Notes On The Book Of Defeat by Nizar Qabbani )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
Poem of the Day
- take three hour to digest, Havilah
- Before I go…, Mark Heathcote
- The Stuff Myths are Made of, Holly Wotherspoon
- A Winter Poem, Leslie Philibert
- Angry all the time, Kelly Shanks
- nutmeg needs attention, Havilah
- All Creatures ‘Life Matter, Hebert Logerie
- The Highest Weight Bearing Beam, Michael P. McParland
- This Worthless Beast, Michael P. McParland
- Nothing Matters, Michael P. McParland