Letitia Elizabeth Landon
NEVER more, when the day is o'er,
Will the lonely vespers sound;
No bells are ringing—no monks are singing,
When the moonlight falls around.
A few pale flowers, which in other hours
May have cheered the dreary mood;
When the votary turned to the world he had spurned,
And repined at the solitude.
Still do they blow 'mid the ruins below,
For fallen are fane and shrine,
And the moss has grown o'er the sculptured stone
Of an altar no more divine.
Still on the walls where the sunshine falls,
The ancient fruit-tree grows;
And o'er tablet and tomb, extends the bloom
Of many a wilding rose.
Fair though they be, yet they seemed to me
To mock the wreck below;
For mighty the tower, where the fragile flower
May now as in triumph blow.
Oh, foolish the thought, that my fancy brought;
More true and more wise to say,
That still thus doth spring, some gentle thing,
With its beauty to cheer decay.
Letitia Elizabeth Landon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fountain’s Abbey by Letitia Elizabeth Landon )
- Invocation of Rain, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Harness Racing (Poem), Doris Beaulieu
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 4, ramesh rai
- Light vs Smoke, Adele Bercich
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall ف.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fulani and His Cattle, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- LOVE, DRASHI SHAH
- LITTLE DREAM, DRASHI SHAH
- Together Alone, S. I. Rednow
- HOLDING HANDS.., DRASHI SHAH
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)