Mikolaj Sep Szarzynski
She's mistress of all:
Rule of this earth
To her is entrusted;
Fortune she's called.
But for her, Maia's son, whom
She grants gifts, be naught.
Man, living for gain,
Mars, fast to shed blood,
Stand both in her hand.
He fears her even
Whom Yenus enflames;
He praises her too,
Who lives by his toil,
In sweat and in thrift.
Kindly at her he'd look,
Who mocks her in word;
For wise deliberation,
Wishing, she'd turn to dispute.
Of a king, a pauper,
Of a slave, a king,
Should she will, she'd make.
She's heedless on whom
Her gifts she bestows,
In which no trust
Is she wont to keep.
So doth she sport!
Through inconstancy alone
She endures unchanging,
To wander hither and yon,
Ruling earth with no rules.
In this tho, she's less
Unto virtue persisting
Would she fast submit,
With it forever in strife.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fortune's Statue by Mikolaj Sep Szarzynski )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1644 - 1694)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Sir Walter Scott
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Forgotten, Michael P. McParland
- Forgive Me?, Michael P. McParland
- The Hermit, David Lessard
- Forever Yours, Michael P. McParland
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- Forever Hope, Michael P. McParland
- Many Mornings Before Sunrise, M.J. Lemon
- For You, Michael P. McParland
- For Now (Know I Miss You), Michael P. McParland
- Footsteps, Michael P. McParland