Turbulent emotions like forceful tides banging on the gates of my heart.
I lie on the bed; looking up from my pillow not seeing the stars.
I curl up, legs and arms - a tangled mess. I shut my eyes and imagine you there with me by my side. Drag me into sweet oblivion.
I go to sleep; his wide red eyes coming closer in the shaded space gazing at me.
The danger of its breath burdening the air on my face.
I see myself dipped in black blood … his head eclipses the silver moonlight
This is me, I swallow the pain, grovel on the floor in fear and knock my head against the cold walls in anger.
Surrounded by twisted shadows that feast on sympathy and agony.
Heavy breast … I know this place, been here before, I can direct my bare feet cross the floor blindfolded; I flew around desperately till I fell exhausted and bashed my skull
a temporary state … soon the sun came up towards my bruiesed body and poked it with a golden ray; I rocked and twisted around myself … the morning breeze picked me up, opened the window, then opened its hands and released its grip.
Sameera Alshaikh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fortitude (Prose) by Sameera Alshaikh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Yes, Mother Nature Teaches Bards..., Dr John Celes
- Tonic Pain, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- In the Absence of Light, F. J. Thomas
- Give me a drink, Diana Rosser
- White Power, F. J. Thomas
- Sweet Dreams, Sambanath Denis
- My unjust God, Nalini Chaturvedi
- continue counting me, Mandolyn ...
- the tail of poet, ademola oluwabusayo
- the way of the world, ademola oluwabusayo