Turbulent emotions like forceful tides banging on the gates of my heart.
I lie on the bed; looking up from my pillow not seeing the stars.
I curl up, legs and arms - a tangled mess. I shut my eyes and imagine you there with me by my side. Drag me into sweet oblivion.
I go to sleep; his wide red eyes coming closer in the shaded space gazing at me.
The danger of its breath burdening the air on my face.
I see myself dipped in black blood … his head eclipses the silver moonlight
This is me, I swallow the pain, grovel on the floor in fear and knock my head against the cold walls in anger.
Surrounded by twisted shadows that feast on sympathy and agony.
Heavy breast … I know this place, been here before, I can direct my bare feet cross the floor blindfolded; I flew around desperately till I fell exhausted and bashed my skull
a temporary state … soon the sun came up towards my bruiesed body and poked it with a golden ray; I rocked and twisted around myself … the morning breeze picked me up, opened the window, then opened its hands and released its grip.
Sameera Alshaikh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fortitude (Prose) by Sameera Alshaikh )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Peter S. Quinn
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Bull, Ralph Hodgson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
Poem of the Day
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti
- Take A Stand, Saiom Shriver
- Suckling, Saiom Shriver
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Sestina', Merton Lee
- Sol, Steve Howard
- Deep in my Soul, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Orange Has A Shadow, Saiom Shriver