Forgiving Myself Is Hard
Woke up this morning to the grey light of dawn,
a restless night of memories
still spinning around in my head,
I wanted to shake them free
and forgive myself for everything
in my life I had done wrong.
Forgiveness is easy towards others
for what they had done to me,
but forgiving me is hard
for the outrages I had done,
my signature on papers
condemning innocents to eternal peace.
Their memories live with me
to cause me constant torment
for those things I had done.
No one blames me
only I can’t forgive myself
and probably never will.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Forgiving Myself Is Hard by David Harris )
Did you read them?
- God Is Light, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Welcome Autumn, Abdullah alHemaidy
- shadow of life, Abdullah alHemaidy
- Obstacle Race, anujan raja
- Death wish, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Through crisis, hasmukh amathalal
- Beyond the curve, SALINI NAIR
- Hold Your Zip, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Swans (Haiku), Toshie Nohara
- Parents need good parenting., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)