...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood'
Dilated pupils twitch,
From one peripheral standpoint
To the other.
I am reminded of a fly.
Striking the window,
Curious as to why the outside is a sight
And not a touch.
I am telling the
Intelligence is not conducive
To childhood wonderment.
That's a choke in the ambition to age.
When the Proper Authorities
Break the door off the rusted hinges
And scatter splinters on panicked mindsets,
Save a shout for enslavement.
For a life of failed opportunity
Will soon grip the heart
Like handcuffs on trembling wrists.
I am not paranoid.
I am afraid.
Our civilized world gifts punishment to the suffering.
It hands acquittals to rapists because talk is cheap.
The Public Defender is the cleverest investor
Of them all.
Directing lives to help pay for wars and censorship.
But I am not saying
Just have the upper-hand.
But we have right
Exemplified by justice.
Someday the State Capital
Will expose itself as to what it truly is,
An opium den.
*title is a reference to The Libertines
Time For Heroes
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood' by A.j. Binash )
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns