...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood'
Dilated pupils twitch,
From one peripheral standpoint
To the other.
I am reminded of a fly.
Striking the window,
Curious as to why the outside is a sight
And not a touch.
I am telling the
Intelligence is not conducive
To childhood wonderment.
That's a choke in the ambition to age.
When the Proper Authorities
Break the door off the rusted hinges
And scatter splinters on panicked mindsets,
Save a shout for enslavement.
For a life of failed opportunity
Will soon grip the heart
Like handcuffs on trembling wrists.
I am not paranoid.
I am afraid.
Our civilized world gifts punishment to the suffering.
It hands acquittals to rapists because talk is cheap.
The Public Defender is the cleverest investor
Of them all.
Directing lives to help pay for wars and censorship.
But I am not saying
Just have the upper-hand.
But we have right
Exemplified by justice.
Someday the State Capital
Will expose itself as to what it truly is,
An opium den.
*title is a reference to The Libertines
Time For Heroes
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood' by A.j. Binash )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- A Dream Of Death, Luo Zhihai
- Why Life?, Sandra Feldman
- Adrenaline, Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- What was this feeling?, Sergio Jaime
- MERI PRAKRATI, Gunjan Panchal
- There Are So Many Things I Can Still Do, Shalom Freedman
- Heedless, Jubril Balogun
- Missing You, Michael P. McParland
- Against my empty soul, Bee Kilpatrick
- Which One Do I Choose?, Julie Johnson