...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood'
Dilated pupils twitch,
From one peripheral standpoint
To the other.
I am reminded of a fly.
Striking the window,
Curious as to why the outside is a sight
And not a touch.
I am telling the
Intelligence is not conducive
To childhood wonderment.
That's a choke in the ambition to age.
When the Proper Authorities
Break the door off the rusted hinges
And scatter splinters on panicked mindsets,
Save a shout for enslavement.
For a life of failed opportunity
Will soon grip the heart
Like handcuffs on trembling wrists.
I am not paranoid.
I am afraid.
Our civilized world gifts punishment to the suffering.
It hands acquittals to rapists because talk is cheap.
The Public Defender is the cleverest investor
Of them all.
Directing lives to help pay for wars and censorship.
But I am not saying
Just have the upper-hand.
But we have right
Exemplified by justice.
Someday the State Capital
Will expose itself as to what it truly is,
An opium den.
*title is a reference to The Libertines
Time For Heroes
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (...'For Young Lungs to Be Coughing Up Blood' by A.j. Binash )
- Contradict, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Common Sense, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Love's Slow Death, Wilma Horne
- Door to the Mind, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Traveler, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Pockets Of Lace, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Just You, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Cry of the Unwanted, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Beneath the Words, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Believe, Fariza Nur Shabrina
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)