For ever with the Lord!
'For ever with the Lord!'
Amen, so let it be;
Life from the dead is in that word,
Here in the body pent,
Absent from Him I roam;
Yet nightly pitch my moving tent
A day's march nearer home.
My father's house on high,
Home of my soul, how near;
At times to faith's foreseeing eye,
Thy golden gates appear!
In darkness as in light
Hidden alike from view,
I sleep, I wake within his sight
Who looks existence through.
From the dim hour of birth,
Through every changing state
Of mortal pilgrimage on earth,
Till its appointed date;
All that I am, have been,
All that I yet may be,
He sees at once, as He hath seen,
And shall for ever see.
Be Thou at my right hand,
Then can I never fail;
Uphold Thou me, and I shall stand,
Fight, and I must prevail.
James Montgomery's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For ever with the Lord! by James Montgomery )
- A Bystander, Sibghatullah Khan
- A Leaf of Small Boat, Rose Lu ( Bing hua )
- Forget Forgive Focus Follow and have Fai.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- I Wrote Too Much, Shalom Freedman
- If You are Sad, Turn the Pages, Hebert Logerie
- Time Flies, Tony Adah
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov