(For Dónall) Portrait of a Poet, Sleeping
Turning her head she finds his sleeping face
a few inches from hers. A moment to hold
in her mind’s gallery. Immobile, peaceful,
open to her calm inspection,
smooth cheekbones gold-pink,
eyes sunk, looking inward, heavy eyelids
falling across them like blinds from the broad forehead.
Nose somehow more delicate
than when he is awake. Lips firmly closed
over the voluble mouth. John Lennon, she thinks,
as she stores his mouth away. She keeps still,
despite her filling bladder and her stiffening back.
His hand still rests on her stomach, his foot on hers.
If she moves, the blinds will flick up,
the quiet breath will quicken,
his face will be remoulded by the lively muscles.
Where is he now?
Inside this calm mask, perhaps he’s running
in the pathways of neurons that link this moment
with the past. And who is she to call him back?
Janice Windle's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ((For Dónall) Portrait of a Poet, Sleeping by Janice Windle )
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- 신세계 대전오피 010↔5959↔1049 대전서구오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- The Empty Room, Maria Magdalena Biela
- Dream liner, Stephen Brian Brady
- peeping Tom, lee fones
- pension scheme, lee fones
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
- Let me know, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)