For Chinua Achebe
Our foremost general
Is homeward bound
Carried shoulders high
By men of valour
Like Nwa Bekee on a hammock
Decorated a champion of champions
After fighting battles of life
Where a multitude lose
And just a few win
What a name befitting
The courageous trailblazer
Going to be our forerunner
Scripting our names in gold
With a good story to boot
But with nothing falling apart
Fare thee well.
Chris Jibero's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (For Chinua Achebe by Chris Jibero )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- haikindof, Mandolyn ...
- Are You Pissed Yet, Francie Lynch
- Mirror (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- make mine extra crispy, Mandolyn ...
- ~Death Of My Creations~, Allan Gerard
- looking for the button that will make me.., Mandolyn ...
- Captivations of an Art Form, F. J. Thomas
- Me Without You Is Like, Lilly Emery
- Nature's Path, Joy Cordwell
- Choices, Danielle Dessels