The street lights are fain and diverse
Shadows of pillars make fearful symmetry
It seems-ghosts are on the back of ghosts-
A dazzling dances upon the street.
The trees beside the street are gloomy
And are reproached stingingly
And are truant with questioning,
In a pensive mood of breeze.
Half a hundred and more shadows in a glance
Can be seen; more spiritful than dead bodies
So half the way I can hardly travel
And my heart is about to strike me.
More or less fifty times I look up into sky
To seek the Moon and twilight stars beside me
And seem the night never to be ended
And seem the night ever to be in gruesome hue
So I think the night will never have end.
So I take a posture to cross street before sunshine
Or to make the ghosts my prey, or to break
Their eternal pride on the street, beside the sea.
So I run towards my room to fetch a musk
And black dress, fitted to my body and the night
Much to make them fool and give dances with them
To be brief indulgent in making them love me.
Sometimes I push them with my slim knee
Sometimes I caress their heads with free hand
And they think me as their affectionate mate
Oh, how fool they are! they never complain to me.
Thus I cross the street of darkest night
And thus I reach the midnight sea
To take pleasure to the lees
Out of dreary condition of night.
Pijush Biswas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Foolish Ghosts by Pijush Biswas )
- The Bridge From The Other Side, Is It Poetry
- Car Wars, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Rumor has it., Harold R Hunt Sr
- When the angels come, Harold R Hunt Sr
- No more bullets, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Memories, Yovanni Emmanuel
- When the Dawn Comes, Fatima Nusairat
- The Cat Lady, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Night Owl, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Loving you, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)