Fondly of Rupert Brooke
if there be a piece of England yet
free from the yoke of tyranny
if there be society named university
free from the yoke of corporate governance
bean counters were only Nazi scouts
the new monsters know no name
and university now has no name no core
the “Idea” long parodied and betrayed
as these one-man top downers
shave the wheat of freedom
off all of the fields
leave barren pasture everywhere
and only fleeing frightened hares
and contrive to bend our language
terming it governance, management,
and other sinful lies
where is this ever England now
where are you now
sweet sceptered isle?
better in some foreign field
to peter out and pant away a life
far from ever England
that is not now poisoned
by these toads
treasure those few specks of dust
bore and shaped
and sing a grand freedom
a grand mind
not poisoned by the toadies of today
not poisoned by Lord Sutherland
and all his ghastly crew
far far away though it may be
yet shall there be
songs and sallies witty and fine
will there to be a tax on genius
an end to cakes and ale
go you yet
fat stinking toads
there may wit flourish
un-smothered by mean
and the squalor of their
named ‘leaders’ of the flock
have you now?
what grand views?
just march the men forth
up the hill and down again
you unelected, misranked
Dukes of Plaza-Toro!
look down upon
your zombied members
of the flock now
disinherited of the right to
SHOUT OUT! !
SPEAK OUT! !
AND RID US
OF THIS LOATHSOME LIE! !
* The Lord Sutherland Report on University Governance, promulgated and followed in large part by all the universities of Hong Kong in (2002-) 2003, recommended top down management, reduction of Senate membership, and appointed as opposed to elected Deans of Faculties. Implementation led to tyranny from the centre, and marginalizing or quashing of contribution to debate by individual faculty members in the name of ‘fit for purpose’ governance. The resulting disassociation of Deans from their constituencies, being no longer elected, was the reduction of open debate on significant issues, then termed wasteful.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fondly of Rupert Brooke by richard stanleybaker )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Simply Spoken School Of Life, Heather Burns
- Simply Spoken Obtaining, Heather Burns
- WILD FLOWERS IN THE PATOS ORCHARD, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Simply Spoken Foundation, Heather Burns
- yup, you know i love you, Mandolyn ...
- Time Machine, Tammy Ashton
- THE PRETTY SEA AND THE SWIMMING POOL الب.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aemulus, Arik Fletcher
- Take it all it's entirely all for you baby, Mark Heathcote
- Confused Sea Gods, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken