Unsteady and unsure,
Taking their first steps.
Joy now unrestrained
At this freedom gained,
Having taken their first steps.
Without style or grace
'Til safe in mum's embrace.
The light from father's face,
At taking their first steps.
Through life there will be more,
New situations held in store,
And a path from each new door,
Inviting their first steps.
It is for parents too,
The path they walk is also new,
And signposts there are very few,
To guide them in their steps
When grows dim the trail,
And harsh or gently through the veil,
We're taking our last steps.
With or without an angel's hand,
As taking their first steps.
Greg Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (First Steps by Greg Davidson )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Oh My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- The actor and the witness, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Possessive of God, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The forbidden ritual, Mark Heathcote
- WHEN ON ME THEY CANNOT FEED, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Fragility, Akhtar Jawad
- Reading History and Thinking of Today (S.., Luo Zhihai
- Tough Love (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello