Unsteady and unsure,
Taking their first steps.
Joy now unrestrained
At this freedom gained,
Having taken their first steps.
Without style or grace
'Til safe in mum's embrace.
The light from father's face,
At taking their first steps.
Through life there will be more,
New situations held in store,
And a path from each new door,
Inviting their first steps.
It is for parents too,
The path they walk is also new,
And signposts there are very few,
To guide them in their steps
When grows dim the trail,
And harsh or gently through the veil,
We're taking our last steps.
With or without an angel's hand,
As taking their first steps.
Greg Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (First Steps by Greg Davidson )
- Our world is without any kind of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dream packed drama, hasmukh amathalal
- A fool واحد احمق, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Quite same, hasmukh amathalal
- Lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Exquisite Thing, Mark R. Elias
- Leaf to Fall, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Strange Paradox, Sandra Feldman
- Celebrate Life, david kush
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)