Unsteady and unsure,
Taking their first steps.
Joy now unrestrained
At this freedom gained,
Having taken their first steps.
Without style or grace
'Til safe in mum's embrace.
The light from father's face,
At taking their first steps.
Through life there will be more,
New situations held in store,
And a path from each new door,
Inviting their first steps.
It is for parents too,
The path they walk is also new,
And signposts there are very few,
To guide them in their steps
When grows dim the trail,
And harsh or gently through the veil,
We're taking our last steps.
With or without an angel's hand,
As taking their first steps.
Greg Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (First Steps by Greg Davidson )
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well; well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
- PH: Nature: Canoeing The Mississippi - P.., Brian Johnston
- Steps Of Purpose, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Whispers Of Ancient Parables, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns