Unsteady and unsure,
Taking their first steps.
Joy now unrestrained
At this freedom gained,
Having taken their first steps.
Without style or grace
'Til safe in mum's embrace.
The light from father's face,
At taking their first steps.
Through life there will be more,
New situations held in store,
And a path from each new door,
Inviting their first steps.
It is for parents too,
The path they walk is also new,
And signposts there are very few,
To guide them in their steps
When grows dim the trail,
And harsh or gently through the veil,
We're taking our last steps.
With or without an angel's hand,
As taking their first steps.
Greg Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (First Steps by Greg Davidson )
- Left Before She Was Found, Sierra Staten
- Child in Me, Sierra Staten
- Of the Seven Deadly Sins- Jealousy, Emily Liang
- Crashed Thrones, Abby Bilan
- BMO, A.R Evangelista
- Let it remain, hasmukh amathalal
- Miracle over, hasmukh amathalal
- In The Eyes Of The Lord, Tom Zart
- My feelings, hasmukh amathalal
- Real meditation, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Autumn Days, Heather Burns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)