Unsteady and unsure,
Taking their first steps.
Joy now unrestrained
At this freedom gained,
Having taken their first steps.
Without style or grace
'Til safe in mum's embrace.
The light from father's face,
At taking their first steps.
Through life there will be more,
New situations held in store,
And a path from each new door,
Inviting their first steps.
It is for parents too,
The path they walk is also new,
And signposts there are very few,
To guide them in their steps
When grows dim the trail,
And harsh or gently through the veil,
We're taking our last steps.
With or without an angel's hand,
As taking their first steps.
Greg Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (First Steps by Greg Davidson )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter
- La Plonge, sheena blackhall
- On Waking, Rodrigo Diaz
- Death of the Hares, sheena blackhall
- 10 Scots poems from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall