Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton
YES, I know that you once were my lover,
But that sort of thing has an end,
And though love and its transports are over,
You know you can still be--my friend:
I was young, too, and foolish, remember;
(Did you ever hear John Hardy sing?)
It was then, the fifteenth of November,
And this is the end of the spring!
You complain that you are not well-treated
By my suddenly altering so;
Can I help it?--you're very conceited,
If you think yourself equal to Joe.
Don't kneel at my feet, I implore you;
Don't write on the drawings you bring;
Don't ask me to say, 'I adore you,'
For, indeed, it is now no such thing.
I confess, when at Bognor we parted,
I swore that I worshipped you then--
That I was a maid broken-hearted,
And you the most charming of men.
I confess, when I read your first letter,
I blotted your name with a tear--
But, oh! I was young--knew no better,
Could I tell that I'd meet Hardy here?
How dull you are grown! how you worry,
Repeating my vows to be true--
If I said so, I told you a story,
For I love Hardy better than you!
Yes! my fond heart has fixed on another,
(I sigh so whenever he's gone,)
I shall always love you--as a brother,
But my heart is John Hardy's alone.
Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (First Love by Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide
- The good theme, hasmukh amathalal
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland