Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton
YES, I know that you once were my lover,
But that sort of thing has an end,
And though love and its transports are over,
You know you can still be--my friend:
I was young, too, and foolish, remember;
(Did you ever hear John Hardy sing?)
It was then, the fifteenth of November,
And this is the end of the spring!
You complain that you are not well-treated
By my suddenly altering so;
Can I help it?--you're very conceited,
If you think yourself equal to Joe.
Don't kneel at my feet, I implore you;
Don't write on the drawings you bring;
Don't ask me to say, 'I adore you,'
For, indeed, it is now no such thing.
I confess, when at Bognor we parted,
I swore that I worshipped you then--
That I was a maid broken-hearted,
And you the most charming of men.
I confess, when I read your first letter,
I blotted your name with a tear--
But, oh! I was young--knew no better,
Could I tell that I'd meet Hardy here?
How dull you are grown! how you worry,
Repeating my vows to be true--
If I said so, I told you a story,
For I love Hardy better than you!
Yes! my fond heart has fixed on another,
(I sigh so whenever he's gone,)
I shall always love you--as a brother,
But my heart is John Hardy's alone.
Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (First Love by Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton )
- Lagos, Henry Isiekwe
- Black as the rainbow…, DEEP DARK SOUL POET
- Nightmare, Donal Mahoney
- Feel as force, hasmukh amathalal
- Lost Children, Isabella Signa
- Pastor Homer Toots His Horn, Donal Mahoney
- Seconds In Prison, Naveed Akram
- The Light Brigade Charge, John F. McCullagh
- Farewell Forever, Sacha Hayes O'Grady
- Orphans, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- India - The Plethora of Natural Beauties, Raja Basu
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)