Sitting with you
Watching you, helpless;
Sleep is engulfing you
What more can I do, helpless?
Mum and you did everything for me
When I was helpless;
You always gave the right words
When everyone else gave the wrong.
Here with you, in fear for you
Whatever can I do for you.
You did so much for me
Now I'm helpless.
I really should have brought you cheer
Instead my gift for you is tears;
Al least your closed eyes cannot see
That I am helpless.
It used to be you tucking me up in bed
Now nurses tuck you up instead;
White hospital pillows beneath your head..
Try to sleep peacefully.
I hope that happy memories
Are filling your dreams
Then surely things won't be quite
As bad as they seem.
Still you are cut from me
By those locked eyelids.
Please wake and smile at me!
Let's pretend that things are
Just as they used to be,
Before that stealthy coma captured you
And your shuttered lids kept us parted.
Sylvia Lukeman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Final Moments by Sylvia Lukeman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Capitalist List Esteem Apex Peak Cut Down, Terence G. Craddock
- A million sparkling rainbows, Nick Kler
- selah, don't say la la la..., Mandolyn ...
- Ego Rulers Built Massive Monuments, Terence G. Craddock
- Capitalistic Perceived Important People, Terence G. Craddock
- here's an itty bitty bite, Mandolyn ...
- Remember Me (Dedicated 2 those that have.., Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- school lunch woes and whoa it's healthy!, Mandolyn ...
- lack of caffeine means this, Mandolyn ...
- Happy Birthday Son, Rowina M Mallick