Final Honesty (believe me you haven't wanted to hear this as much as you thought)
lets just be friends.
those fateful words
that ruined more than they should.
said long before i broke our hearts,
but i'd lost you already.
i'd pushed you so far
that i'd lost sight of my love for you,
it was still there.
i just couldn't see it.
and then you were gone.
and my chest ached,
i almost drowned in tears,
but there was nothing i could do.
and i wanted to say it so many times.
i've wanted to talk and tell you,
i've wanted to tell you i love you completely.
and i'll never have a 'him' like you.
you'll read this one day,
and shout at me the next.
but we'll still be friends.
i don't know how,
but it's what we do best.
we inspire people with our amiability.
our ability to be ok on the surface
and paint a smile over the cracks.
i want to be with you,
but you don't love me like you did, do you?
it's 2am and i'm writing at last,
i'm being honest at last,
knowing full well it will get me no further
towards happiness with you.
i wasn't the one who wanted more,
but i was selfishly thinking it.
he made me think that he did,
and he fooled me.
made me feel sad and stupid.
i was blinded and manipulated,
in some kind of sick game of revenge.
i'm banging my head against the wall
in shame of my own stupidity.
it's hot tonight,
but my life is cold and my air empty.
think what you will of me, but do it quickly
before i fade away.
this is my apologia.
my hope for redemption.
my wish, that you will read this and forgive me.
and tell me you love me completely
and have missed me.
be with me,
love me like you did,
lets start over.
or we'll keep being friends,
because it might be all we're doomed to be.
Elsa Bear's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Final Honesty (believe me you haven't wanted to hear this as much as you thought) by Elsa Bear )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Music, Life's Soundtrack (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Love Note 16, Michael P. McParland
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Oh My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- The actor and the witness, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Possessive of God, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The forbidden ritual, Mark Heathcote
- WHEN ON ME THEY CANNOT FEED, Cynthia BuhainBaello