I swore I'd keep the monsters out,
But she snuck in the room anyway.
I crawled into bed and turned out the light
I prayed we'd find escape.
'Oh, Lord! How I wish I could be home! '
The screams rang from within.
'Deliver us from our tendencies...
forgive me of her sins.'
Don't wipe your eyes so slowly,
the stage will burn at once.
The curtain closed I doubt you know
and the demons have all moved on.
Your darkness is of your own accord,
The devil left a long time ago.
He gave you ideas, and we grabbed ahold
and ran to our own destruction.
What is of this Screwtape you speak,
Screaming to the sky while bruising your knee?
You should have known you'd never find relief
while staring straight into the mirror.
But wait! Who broke that reflection?
You may have a point, but where is your weapon?
I'll draw all of the curtains
And tell your audience there is no room for an encore.
You know not what you do.
The devil has left you.
And now you deal with your man-made silence.
Dear God......If I could ask of one thing.....
I beg You desperately.....
Please, do not forget me.
I'll try to bring them back.
I'll use any wisdom you give to speak of any slack.
I promise You.
We know not what we do.
The devil left us a long time ago.
And we don't know what to do with the peace that now overflows.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Family Ties. by Simone Graves )
- E-rated poemier- go slow, Elvis Airohi
- Songs of Heaven, Aftab Alam
- E-rated poemier- if it had ended, Elvis Airohi
- Upon His Face, david kush
- Abel, Aftab Alam
- At Least Live and Dream, Rohit Sapra
- Aladdin's Lamp, Aftab Alam
- philosophy, lee fones
- Old Clock, Paul Gerard Reed
- Cuckold's Plea, Donal Mahoney
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1886 - 1967)