I swore I'd keep the monsters out,
But she snuck in the room anyway.
I crawled into bed and turned out the light
I prayed we'd find escape.
'Oh, Lord! How I wish I could be home! '
The screams rang from within.
'Deliver us from our tendencies...
forgive me of her sins.'
Don't wipe your eyes so slowly,
the stage will burn at once.
The curtain closed I doubt you know
and the demons have all moved on.
Your darkness is of your own accord,
The devil left a long time ago.
He gave you ideas, and we grabbed ahold
and ran to our own destruction.
What is of this Screwtape you speak,
Screaming to the sky while bruising your knee?
You should have known you'd never find relief
while staring straight into the mirror.
But wait! Who broke that reflection?
You may have a point, but where is your weapon?
I'll draw all of the curtains
And tell your audience there is no room for an encore.
You know not what you do.
The devil has left you.
And now you deal with your man-made silence.
Dear God......If I could ask of one thing.....
I beg You desperately.....
Please, do not forget me.
I'll try to bring them back.
I'll use any wisdom you give to speak of any slack.
I promise You.
We know not what we do.
The devil left us a long time ago.
And we don't know what to do with the peace that now overflows.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Family Ties. by Simone Graves )
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- For every star that one see is the star .., Raymond Sawyer
- They came across a homeless-looking man, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- He Is A Clown, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Morally Corrupt, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- hey four eyes with the square tie, Jena Crowe
- Where there respect thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)