Some people I know
I meet in the marketplace,
Greet them with Hi and a little bow,
As courtesy shown to a known face,
No further the relation can go!
I never care to know them more
They’re just known passersby,
To them I never open my door
Nor to build friendship I try!
Some people I know
I meet on the way,
Throw a brief smile at them,
That’s so far as it can go,
I don’t care to know their name!
Fellow travelers on a passing ship
I wish I could know them more
Their thoughts that lie hidden deep
Like waiting rains yearning to pour!
If we could take it a little more
To bridge the yawning distance,
Opened up to each other our hearts’ door
To give friendship a chance,
I could find from them some true gem
That it would be a loss not to know,
But I never care to know their name,
The familiar faces I greet with a bow!
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Familiar Faces by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Eyes they see, Diplove gautam
- Inconstancy in love, Robert Burns
- On Elphinstone's Translation of Martial'.., Robert Burns
- Indigenous architecture., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Jos Master, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Open the door to me, oh, Robert Burns
- Ballad on Mr. Heron's Election—No. 4, Robert Burns
- Poem on Sensibility, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The True Loyal Natives, Robert Burns
- Epitaph on John Dove, Innkeeper, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)