There are forests on either side,
in the middle a glistening path twists and turns
dancing to the rhythm of nature.
From time to time eyes glow in the dark
and little rabbits dance and jump around.
Amidst the palash bushes on the round hillock
I have seen wild peacocks dance
in sudden delight.
In the shade of my tent the golden sitar sounds
from the stream match that grace.
Deer come cautiously to the edge of the river
to drink water at the call of the ancient hermit Sindhu.
A cheetah darts by with a greedy fierce leap,
awakening kathakali rhythms with its wild speed.
Where is that forest, there's no settlements either,
only endless plains, and the lament of dry air.
The forest is cleared, the village has died,
there's no signs of a city, and the
peacocks have been butchered and sold.
Why in this country are people silent and helpless?
Why are rivers trees and mountains so unimportant?
How long do I have to wander all over the country carrying my tent?
When will us expatriates build our own homeland?
Bishnu Dey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Expatriate by Bishnu Dey )
- The night is ending away for the reputat.., clawdea benat
- Terrorism, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- My Dear Mom,, Dr John Celes
- Busy Life Bugged as Dybbuk Jigged jeez!, Harindhar Reddy
- Day of the Dead, Nassy Fesharaki
- Bow to God for the Life You Bestowed, yow!, Harindhar Reddy
- Please come agan, gajanan mishra
- LOvE mE DamMit - SHhhhhhh#t!, sEaN nOrTh
- Majestic Presence, Sadiqullah Khan
- Hunza, Sadiqullah Khan
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)