Every Child Needs A Father
Back in sixth grade Billy hits a ball so far
it never comes down, as he tells the story now,
50 years later, drunk in a bar, talking with strangers.
He rounds the bases but doesn't touch home.
The catcher tags him and the ump says he's out.
Sitting in the stands, his father curses so
Billy runs away with the puppy he found
that his father says he cannot keep.
He hides in the forest but his sister squeals
about the cave he now calls home.
Around midnight, the puppy is sleeping
when Billy sees searchlights weaving in the dark
and hears cops shouting 'Billy! Billy! '
The cops take him home and the puppy away.
Billy gets welts on his butt from a belt
and never plays baseball again but
every summer his father tells neighbors
some day my Billy will play for the Yankees
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Every Child Needs A Father by Donal Mahoney )
- Ebola! One Last Time, Peter Kimani
- India, Connie Marcum Wong
- A Counter Revolution in Cuba, Deborah Eker
- Pure love, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Man's Hat, Darren David Weaver
- tonight i write you with one sock on, Mandolyn ...
- useless poets, Is It Poetry
- i dropped us and you were glass, Mandolyn ...
- The Typewriter, Patrick van der Loos
- Friday Night For The Writer, Patrick van der Loos
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)