Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful
I remember being asked to go to Galilee
to break the good news to a young lady.
I told her what the Lord had told me
and of future things he could foresee.
Well, Joseph heard, he blew his top,
his fears and doubts I had to stop.
He eventually calmed down
after a huff, a puff, and a frown.
Some say he was born in December
but I distinctly remember
Spring was in the air
And I felt like a child at the fair.
There was much revelry at the inn
where the happy father had been.
Even the shepherds joined in,
a rowdy lot, making such a din.
I still had one or two things to do.
I am his Guardian Angel, you know.
I knew that the Magi were on their way,
and Herod, the children wished to slay.
All this happened two thousand years ago.
I was young then and always on the go.
The Lord had lots of business to go through;
he relied on me to do his will, just so.
I am thinking of retiring now;
it is time for me to take a bow.
You see, I am old, my memory gone to pot;
sometimes I remember, sometimes I do not.
Did I say spring was in the air,
and something about a fair?
I can’t really remember;
perhaps it was December.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful by Isam Hussain )
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)