Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful
I remember being asked to go to Galilee
to break the good news to a young lady.
I told her what the Lord had told me
and of future things he could foresee.
Well, Joseph heard, he blew his top,
his fears and doubts I had to stop.
He eventually calmed down
after a huff, a puff, and a frown.
Some say he was born in December
but I distinctly remember
Spring was in the air
And I felt like a child at the fair.
There was much revelry at the inn
where the happy father had been.
Even the shepherds joined in,
a rowdy lot, making such a din.
I still had one or two things to do.
I am his Guardian Angel, you know.
I knew that the Magi were on their way,
and Herod, the children wished to slay.
All this happened two thousand years ago.
I was young then and always on the go.
The Lord had lots of business to go through;
he relied on me to do his will, just so.
I am thinking of retiring now;
it is time for me to take a bow.
You see, I am old, my memory gone to pot;
sometimes I remember, sometimes I do not.
Did I say spring was in the air,
and something about a fair?
I can’t really remember;
perhaps it was December.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful by Isam Hussain )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Expression Eruption: Alcohol, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Death please came and take me, tsholofelo phakathi
- The Ph.D. Guide & The Girl Scholar (A Lo.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- And Were You Dreaming In The Licorice Ni.., mary douglas
- Por-por Chha Gaya.........., Upendra Singh
- It Is Beautiful To Act Like A Sattagerin.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minimalism, Adonis Enricuso
- Treasure Box, Adonis Enricuso
- Palestine; We Let You Down, Guess Who
- Por-por Chha Gaya Basant, Upendra Singh