Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful
I remember being asked to go to Galilee
to break the good news to a young lady.
I told her what the Lord had told me
and of future things he could foresee.
Well, Joseph heard, he blew his top,
his fears and doubts I had to stop.
He eventually calmed down
after a huff, a puff, and a frown.
Some say he was born in December
but I distinctly remember
Spring was in the air
And I felt like a child at the fair.
There was much revelry at the inn
where the happy father had been.
Even the shepherds joined in,
a rowdy lot, making such a din.
I still had one or two things to do.
I am his Guardian Angel, you know.
I knew that the Magi were on their way,
and Herod, the children wished to slay.
All this happened two thousand years ago.
I was young then and always on the go.
The Lord had lots of business to go through;
he relied on me to do his will, just so.
I am thinking of retiring now;
it is time for me to take a bow.
You see, I am old, my memory gone to pot;
sometimes I remember, sometimes I do not.
Did I say spring was in the air,
and something about a fair?
I can’t really remember;
perhaps it was December.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Even Angels Grow Old and Forgetful by Isam Hussain )
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
- Master of Plaster, Tom Higgins
- Tread, thread!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Father Dearest., Tom Higgins
- Are We There Yet?, Tom Higgins
- Poles, Edward Kofi Louis
- Fictional Love, Stacey Austin
- Too Late Again., Tom Higgins
- Cutting my losses., michael walker
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)