How much is enough to keep living?
Driving through the dark
In the early morning, in fog and the reflection
Of white and yellow guide lines?
Is it a cold beach with two cold swimmers,
Or a bus full of tourists
Trying to take a rushed photo of the mess?
Is it fern growing like grass on a hill
Or leaving countries and homes over and over?
How much is enough to keep going?
The sound of a tui which knows nothing
Of people who know nothing of me?
Narrow streets on busy hills
Or faceless people, rushing through
A McDonald's breakfast at a gas station?
Is it trying to figure out a map
And not get lost like a bus driver?
Or a happy mistake getting lost after all?
How much is enough to keep me alive?
The sun burning the skin
And trying not to think of pigeons
Or kisses or snow globes,
Trying not to think of a bus and a ship
Which forget who I am, in tears?
How much does it take
To feel home and secure, finally, finally?
Nothing but a honey bee's smile.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Enough by Jan Hauck )
- Art of Expression!, Manjeshwari P MYSORE
- Dangernerosity, Sentamu Aziz
- Anthropomorphous Foxes Jig with Fuss (Al.., Harindhar Reddy
- LAST HOPE, Satish Verma
- Democritus stands in silence, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Err, Human Mirror with Terror (Symbolism), Harindhar Reddy
- Fluttering Beauties, arun tp
- To Luke, Saiom Shriver
- Our Next, Asaolu Abayomi
- America's Chief Executioner Can Be Voted.., Saiom Shriver
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)