How much is enough to keep living?
Driving through the dark
In the early morning, in fog and the reflection
Of white and yellow guide lines?
Is it a cold beach with two cold swimmers,
Or a bus full of tourists
Trying to take a rushed photo of the mess?
Is it fern growing like grass on a hill
Or leaving countries and homes over and over?
How much is enough to keep going?
The sound of a tui which knows nothing
Of people who know nothing of me?
Narrow streets on busy hills
Or faceless people, rushing through
A McDonald's breakfast at a gas station?
Is it trying to figure out a map
And not get lost like a bus driver?
Or a happy mistake getting lost after all?
How much is enough to keep me alive?
The sun burning the skin
And trying not to think of pigeons
Or kisses or snow globes,
Trying not to think of a bus and a ship
Which forget who I am, in tears?
How much does it take
To feel home and secure, finally, finally?
Nothing but a honey bee's smile.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Enough by Jan Hauck )
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tears of Eyes Speak The Truth, Rohit Sapra
- Goose bumps / song, Mark Heathcote
- The Chameleon, Sir Toby
- A game of Love, Sir Toby
- As I would like to grow old (to my Mother), Gianfranco Aurilio
- The StrongMan's Lethal, Sir Toby
- My answer that will stand for Nation, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow