How much is enough to keep living?
Driving through the dark
In the early morning, in fog and the reflection
Of white and yellow guide lines?
Is it a cold beach with two cold swimmers,
Or a bus full of tourists
Trying to take a rushed photo of the mess?
Is it fern growing like grass on a hill
Or leaving countries and homes over and over?
How much is enough to keep going?
The sound of a tui which knows nothing
Of people who know nothing of me?
Narrow streets on busy hills
Or faceless people, rushing through
A McDonald's breakfast at a gas station?
Is it trying to figure out a map
And not get lost like a bus driver?
Or a happy mistake getting lost after all?
How much is enough to keep me alive?
The sun burning the skin
And trying not to think of pigeons
Or kisses or snow globes,
Trying not to think of a bus and a ship
Which forget who I am, in tears?
How much does it take
To feel home and secure, finally, finally?
Nothing but a honey bee's smile.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Enough by Jan Hauck )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Aasiba, gajanan mishra
- Coming from, gajanan mishra
- I'd pluck the stars for flowers, Mark Heathcote
- A necessity, gajanan mishra
- Sarakara aapananka dwarare, gajanan mishra
- Man: A proud species, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- ONly needed, hasmukh amathalal
- Govt at people's door, gajanan mishra
- Nothing Going On, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Her Shoebox Of Poetry, louis rams