How much is enough to keep living?
Driving through the dark
In the early morning, in fog and the reflection
Of white and yellow guide lines?
Is it a cold beach with two cold swimmers,
Or a bus full of tourists
Trying to take a rushed photo of the mess?
Is it fern growing like grass on a hill
Or leaving countries and homes over and over?
How much is enough to keep going?
The sound of a tui which knows nothing
Of people who know nothing of me?
Narrow streets on busy hills
Or faceless people, rushing through
A McDonald's breakfast at a gas station?
Is it trying to figure out a map
And not get lost like a bus driver?
Or a happy mistake getting lost after all?
How much is enough to keep me alive?
The sun burning the skin
And trying not to think of pigeons
Or kisses or snow globes,
Trying not to think of a bus and a ship
Which forget who I am, in tears?
How much does it take
To feel home and secure, finally, finally?
Nothing but a honey bee's smile.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Enough by Jan Hauck )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Life is more than anything else, gajanan mishra
- DJ, The Making of A DJ, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Innocent heart, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Be Here, Michael P. McParland
- Kitchen Charade, Nicole C Esbach
- &, Nicole C Esbach
- Chiaroscuro, Nicole C Esbach
- Sonnet # 536, Luis Estable
- SELF-INTROSPECTION ON MY HAPPY BIRTH DAY, Purusottam Chuli
- I Wish For Peace, Serena Blackinton