Who am I to speak of this?
Certainly have no degree,
No résumé to teach of bliss,
Or divine words to decree.
Seeking for the knowing one,
Years he’s passed me by,
Sunrise through the setting sun,
He must have heard my cry.
Who am I to think this thought?
Why not just stand in line,
All the waste I’ve been taught,
It’s not in my design.
Seeking for the knowing one
With wisdom in his heart,
To listen to his gifted tongue,
His knowledge to impart.
Who am I to find my truth?
Or wonder why we’re here?
Somewhere in my tender youth,
I learned of mortal fear.
Quit seeking for the knowing one,
For he’s buried deep inside,
Waiting for my life undone,
To complete and coincide.
Who am I to accept myself?
The way I’ve always been,
Endless books stacked on the shelf,
Couldn’t tell me what’s within.
Those seeking for the knowing one,
Might find a better way,
Tomorrow’s endless rerun,
Leads them farther yet astray.
Who am I to give such advice?
I’ll tell my story true,
Always something there to entice,
No substance to ensue.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Enlightenment by G.R. Gaus )
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 구로오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ구로오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- She looked a million dollars, Erato
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- From the Lives of My Friends, Michael Dickman
- WHENEVER A LIFE IS TAKEN, Ali Faisal
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- For Some Slight I Can't Quite Recall, Ross Gay
- Surf song, Roann Mendriq
- Midnight surf, Roann Mendriq
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Samra, Said Akl
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Bright Star, John Keats
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)