Who am I to speak of this?
Certainly have no degree,
No résumé to teach of bliss,
Or divine words to decree.
Seeking for the knowing one,
Years he’s passed me by,
Sunrise through the setting sun,
He must have heard my cry.
Who am I to think this thought?
Why not just stand in line,
All the waste I’ve been taught,
It’s not in my design.
Seeking for the knowing one
With wisdom in his heart,
To listen to his gifted tongue,
His knowledge to impart.
Who am I to find my truth?
Or wonder why we’re here?
Somewhere in my tender youth,
I learned of mortal fear.
Quit seeking for the knowing one,
For he’s buried deep inside,
Waiting for my life undone,
To complete and coincide.
Who am I to accept myself?
The way I’ve always been,
Endless books stacked on the shelf,
Couldn’t tell me what’s within.
Those seeking for the knowing one,
Might find a better way,
Tomorrow’s endless rerun,
Leads them farther yet astray.
Who am I to give such advice?
I’ll tell my story true,
Always something there to entice,
No substance to ensue.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Enlightenment by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- कुछ कह नहीं पाता, Aftab Alam
- Jadavpur University Campus A Heaven For .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Friends and foes, gajanan mishra
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
- Defiled, gajanan mishra
- Be It Trivial And Mundane, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Every creature, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)