Who am I to speak of this?
Certainly have no degree,
No résumé to teach of bliss,
Or divine words to decree.
Seeking for the knowing one,
Years he’s passed me by,
Sunrise through the setting sun,
He must have heard my cry.
Who am I to think this thought?
Why not just stand in line,
All the waste I’ve been taught,
It’s not in my design.
Seeking for the knowing one
With wisdom in his heart,
To listen to his gifted tongue,
His knowledge to impart.
Who am I to find my truth?
Or wonder why we’re here?
Somewhere in my tender youth,
I learned of mortal fear.
Quit seeking for the knowing one,
For he’s buried deep inside,
Waiting for my life undone,
To complete and coincide.
Who am I to accept myself?
The way I’ve always been,
Endless books stacked on the shelf,
Couldn’t tell me what’s within.
Those seeking for the knowing one,
Might find a better way,
Tomorrow’s endless rerun,
Leads them farther yet astray.
Who am I to give such advice?
I’ll tell my story true,
Always something there to entice,
No substance to ensue.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Enlightenment by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- Just before Midnight, Frank Avon
- I and I, Daniel Erdner
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)