Coffee sits cold on the kitchen counter.
I turn the pages of the paper,
Reading just the headlines.
The house is quiet,
I hear the ticking
Of the clock on the wall,
Old-fashioned, I know,
But there is comfort in it.
The day moves on,
Routines performed with
Not really thinking.
Then a sudden thought of you
Catches me unaware
And before I know,
The sweeping is done,
And you are still before me.
Your smile and crinkling eyes
Float just out of reach.
Evening finds the sun
Leaving its smudge of pink
Supper, a bowl of soup
And memories of you,
Thinking of our French dinners
Of bread and cheese
Topped with wine and conversation.
Night finds me reading,
My head propped on
But soon, my eyes are
Running over the words,
Not really seeing.
My head begins to nod.
I reach for the light,
And although I have the whole,
I still do it,
I still sleep on my half of the bed.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty by Charles Darnell )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)