Embers! ! !
calm and serene was there in life,
it was there only when they were alive
Life was life
worthy and worth-living
and now when they are no more
it has become a compulsion
and an obligation
'how time flies when one has fun'
and how it stops,
gets static to the limits of suffocation
when the essence of life is just taken out of it.
When they were there with me
with all there being shedding all affections
life was easy;
now when they are no more,
death has become easy.
Death is no parting,
as is assumed,
for they say
meeting with the dead and gone
is much much possible,
the bare fact is that
though i cant see them
but it's gratifying enough
that at least they can see me;
they are not going to come,
but i'm expected to go and meet them
sooner or later
What is Death?
an antonym of life? ,
a law of nature? ,
a parting-agent marking a line of separation
between the living and the dead? ,
or a divine order?
whatever it is, it's not strong enough
even to create a few seconds worth separation of us
from our dear ones.
They are more close to us,
we are more close to them.
'our dead are never dead to us
untill we have forgotten them.'
Life without them is like a tedious journey
barefoot under the rotten sun
O! for the faces
that are gone and hidden
within the entrails of the sodden ground!
O! for the precious lives
that are vanished
and slipped out of our hands
like grains of sand
the death-angel WAS there
in our own house
and no suspicion, no fear
since the grip on life was that strong but
at that very moment,
the string that held us together broke down
Nothing is left now
but grief, grief and a long-lasting emptiness
which will never come to an end...
for the calls not responded,
for the moments not spent with those
whose eyes just looked forward for the company...
'Death! be not proud! '
if you were really a mighty being,
you would take the memories with you too,
but here you are not strong
rather very weak;
now did you get to know your worth?
Death, you cant kill.
you can hide aface but
not the memories of that face
that i cherish
and will keep on cherishing
my still hot
unextinguished embers of love
will never be cooled down,
though i'm alive
but the life has lost its colours!
Shahzia Batool's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Embers! ! ! by Shahzia Batool )
Did you read them?
- Devil's Darkness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where is justice?, gajanan mishra
- Silent Voices - Heartbroken Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Stumble And Fall, Maurice Rowlands
- Love others, gajanan mishra
- Thoughts of Perfection, michael walkerjohn
- Coffee & cream, Mark Heathcote
- An African Woman Unfolds, michael walkerjohn
- The Daughter of the Earth - 43, gajanan mishra
- Prove your presence, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Go Back to May 1937, Sharon Olds
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)