Elegies, Book One, 5
In summer’s heat and mid-time of the day
To rest my limbs upon a bed I lay,
One window shut, the other open stood,
Which gave such light as twinkles in a wood,
Like twilight glimpse at setting of the sun
Or night being past, and yet not day begun.
Such light to shamefaced maidens must be shown,
Where they may sport, and seem to be unknown.
Then came Corinna in a long loose gown,
Her white neck hid with tresses hanging down:
Resembling fair Semiramis going to bed
Or Laïs of a thousand wooers sped.
I snatched her gown, being thin, the harm was small,
Yet strived she to be covered therewithal.
And striving thus as one that would be cast,
Betrayed herself, and yielded at the last.
Stark naked as she stood before mine eye,
Not one wen in her body could I spy.
What arms and shoulders did I touch and see,
How apt her breasts were to be pressed by me?
How smooth a belly under her waist saw I?
How large a leg, and what a lusty thigh?
To leave the rest, all liked me passing well,
I clinged her naked body, down she fell,
Judge you the rest: being tired she bad me kiss,
Jove send me more such afternoons as this
Christopher Marlowe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Elegies, Book One, 5 by Christopher Marlowe )
- Unrequited Love, Amber Carr
- Easy It Is To Forget, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Loving Is A Wish, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- just done, Rachelle Langley
- You Sheep I Blame, Rocky Wolfbanger
- Additament Amour Apier, Louis Borgo
- Forgotten Bridge, Tim Labbe
- Left Behind (Poor Are The Poor, M.J Donnchadh
- I Had a Need for Walking, Vera Sidhwa
- In the Garden of Delight, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)