Elegies, Book One, 5
In summer’s heat and mid-time of the day
To rest my limbs upon a bed I lay,
One window shut, the other open stood,
Which gave such light as twinkles in a wood,
Like twilight glimpse at setting of the sun
Or night being past, and yet not day begun.
Such light to shamefaced maidens must be shown,
Where they may sport, and seem to be unknown.
Then came Corinna in a long loose gown,
Her white neck hid with tresses hanging down:
Resembling fair Semiramis going to bed
Or Laïs of a thousand wooers sped.
I snatched her gown, being thin, the harm was small,
Yet strived she to be covered therewithal.
And striving thus as one that would be cast,
Betrayed herself, and yielded at the last.
Stark naked as she stood before mine eye,
Not one wen in her body could I spy.
What arms and shoulders did I touch and see,
How apt her breasts were to be pressed by me?
How smooth a belly under her waist saw I?
How large a leg, and what a lusty thigh?
To leave the rest, all liked me passing well,
I clinged her naked body, down she fell,
Judge you the rest: being tired she bad me kiss,
Jove send me more such afternoons as this
Christopher Marlowe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Elegies, Book One, 5 by Christopher Marlowe )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(15 April 1958)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
Poem of the Day
- Hedonism, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afshan Ahmad and The Terrorists, Akhtar Jawad
- My lovely Muse from Venus, Yor Nella
- Egoism, Edward Kofi Louis
- Caroline, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- Silent Love, Phil Soar
- Dream (landless Zimbabweans), Wensislaus Mbirimi
- Vintage Flower, Edward Kofi Louis
- Proverbs, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- Greatness In Courage, Bernedita Rosinha Pinto