El Greco's St Martin
His brilliant mare- (a legacy of the Moor?)
is of a brightness
rivaled only by his collar,
and, snorting with indignant righteousness,
spends the centuries glancing away:
long, the way to San Jose,
and, after all, it's just another beggar.
But her rider sees...hmm, what?
A Christos? Universal Fate?
A cold and hungry bloke?
feels his pain,
and, with a beau geste, if ever
there was one, tears
his costly cloak in twain
And shares it- (proof against the dawn and rising tide?
against the chill of falling night?) :
which, I know not- you decide.
Anyway, the oddly comely beggar will sleep tight
tonight, warmer, if not better fed
tossing from this side to the other,
begger's dreams tumbling his head
Like the clouds cartwheeling the sky
above the vanishing spires of Amiens.
prompts the mare, (whose name is Caroline) :
heedless of a deed done for the good of all-
who, what, where, when, how,
or by what prompting, not important, now.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (El Greco's St Martin by Morgan Michaels )
- Wine and Heart, Nassy Fesharaki
- The Sun Doth Shine, Tango Tango
- Alive, Leong Ming Loong
- Poems proclaim, Mark Heathcote
- My Battle Ground, Emily Krauss
- Whatcha Doing, Emily Krauss
- More And More Sheila And Clifford ..... .., Bri Edwards
- Ends, douglas scotney
- To Wait On A Woman, Randy McClave
- He says his heart is a broken wishbone, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(22 March 1941 -)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)