A night drive to Ein Yahav in the Arava Desert,
a drive in the rain. Yes, in the rain.
There I met people who grow date palms,
there I saw tamarisk trees and risk trees,
there I saw hope barbed as barbed wire.
And I said to myself: That's true, hope needs to be
like barbed wire to keep out despair,
hope must be a mine field.
Translated by Chana Bloch and Chana Kronfeld
Yehuda Amichai's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ein Yahav by Yehuda Amichai )
- मेरे रब मेरे ही होना!, Aftab Alam
- On Valentine, Naveed Khalid
- The Ghost and the Darkness, Ima Ryma
- Bermuda's Triangle, Naveed Khalid
- खुद के साये से भी डरने लगा हूँ, Aftab Alam
- Evening, Naveed Khalid
- Pravasi Lokam, Arun Narayanan nileshwar
- What a scene, hasmukh amathalal
- Pastoral, Naveed Khalid
- I feel autumn, hasmukh amathalal