Eight Small Poems
Go, gentle bird,
I am your friend, although you doubt it.
I scorn to bribe you with my crumbs:
That would corrupt our tentative friendship.
Space is a cosmic waste-basket
To which, maybe, the Maker has consigned
Abortions like the earth.
3. An Over-sensitive Man
"If I am skinned you might see
Nerve-ends like burnt mushrooms,
Calloused, each one a poem.
I cannot feel any more".
4. The Taoist
A man in search of Tao
Saw this dilemma:
"If I would have Tao,
I should not seek Tao.
If to have Tao,
I don't seek Tao,
I shan't have Tao."
I will meet you half-way, said my eyes.
Yours said nothing.
What is the world going to do
To stop me in my trance,
Where the world is whirled in a jig
And I am not involved?
The frankly grey and the frankly bald
Half-pity those who dye their hair or hairs
Or cover their shiny tops with wigs.
The Etiquette of Words defeats me.
Art is a distortion of between-spaces
Wherein we live. The modern poet tries
To locate the bearings of those between-spaces, but
To define is to desecrate;
Leaf shadows flicker on the sunlit road ahead.
- - - - (1966-80)
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Eight Small Poems by Ananta Madhavan )
Did you read them?
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The All-knowing God, Dr John Celes
- if i were a day, i'd say, Mandolyn ...
- In bed, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The real moments of truth anytime لحظات .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- to the one who reads me every day on pur.., Mandolyn ...
- WE POOR VICTIMs, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- Weekend thrill., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)