Eight Small Poems
Go, gentle bird,
I am your friend, although you doubt it.
I scorn to bribe you with my crumbs:
That would corrupt our tentative friendship.
Space is a cosmic waste-basket
To which, maybe, the Maker has consigned
Abortions like the earth.
3. An Over-sensitive Man
"If I am skinned you might see
Nerve-ends like burnt mushrooms,
Calloused, each one a poem.
I cannot feel any more".
4. The Taoist
A man in search of Tao
Saw this dilemma:
"If I would have Tao,
I should not seek Tao.
If to have Tao,
I don't seek Tao,
I shan't have Tao."
I will meet you half-way, said my eyes.
Yours said nothing.
What is the world going to do
To stop me in my trance,
Where the world is whirled in a jig
And I am not involved?
The frankly grey and the frankly bald
Half-pity those who dye their hair or hairs
Or cover their shiny tops with wigs.
The Etiquette of Words defeats me.
Art is a distortion of between-spaces
Wherein we live. The modern poet tries
To locate the bearings of those between-spaces, but
To define is to desecrate;
Leaf shadows flicker on the sunlit road ahead.
- - - - (1966-80)
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Eight Small Poems by Ananta Madhavan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Sunday's tears, Marilyn Jean
- Poe's Venture, Folayemi Akande
- Our Loving, Caring God, Dr John Celes
- Momentary Separation, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Divine Bond, Md. Ziaul Haque
- SERENDIPITY, Aminath Neena
- To Be Intelligent, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Youth, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Prosetic [Prosaic + Poetic], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Love for You is Reborn, Md. Ziaul Haque