Earth is writing herself into poems
Earth is writing herself into poems,
For poetry is what she feels within her deepest being;
And all the emotions of her mind are seasons,
And being so large and slow moving,
Her emotions pass only very tediously;
So that it takes many months
To complete the shift from hot and voluptuous
To thin and chill.
Earth hides her poetry in flowers and birds,
In clouds and rain showers.
Earth buries her words in soft soil
And tumultuous waves.
Her vocabulary so beautiful by now
She never has to erase a single line.
Wherever earth weeps, new growth springs up
In compassion, to cover over the old scars.
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Earth is writing herself into poems by Patti Masterman )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Sensation Of Cleansing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A vase of flowers, Leong Ming Loong
- this just fell off of my frontal lobe, Mandolyn ...
- Growing Intellectually, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Collision Course, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Christmas This Year, Khalid Saifullah
- 'a new -but -not- very -old poetry of on.., Nyein Way
- Joy and Peace in Believing, Luo Zhihai
- My True Love Is Art, Rohit Sapra
- O God, gajanan mishra