The old wooden dock was damp and cool,
standing on the edge of a coffee-brown lake.
The sky was so dark.
The rich indigo of a king's robe.
No longer dotted with stars,
not yet stained by the sun's arrogance.
The full moon sat alone,
staring at her reflection on the murky water.
So sad, wanting recognition, but too shy.
She waited for her brother to retrieve it.
Waited to be pushed to the corner of a baby-blue
sky, not to be noticed,
for the sun was there to give life.
The savior of the world.
Her depression was absorbed by the nighttime.
The crickets played their violins for her.
The birds slept. Silence.
Even the breeze was calm for her,
dancing its slow Nocturne.
The horizon went pale blue,
then pink and gold.
The sun was soon born, taking his place
in the now-bright sky.
The moon stood aside. A shade.
But even I no longer paid her attention.
Instead, I smiled up at my master.
Zoe Guillory's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Light by Zoe Guillory )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- A Song Of Joys, Walt Whitman
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman