Dying Sheriff. Dying Thief.
He coughs. Blood splatters in a neat row of red dots. Inches from the badge, on his breast pocket. Another unfinished sentence, punctuated by multiple periods.
-Ere’s what I think. I think I should shoot ya. Right ere, right naw. I could shoot ya. In the head. But I think all the thieven ya done, is up there, up there in yir head. Just waitin ta get out. That be the last sight I git.
-Piss off sheriff. Ya been shot too. Look at ya. Bleedin. Bleedin. Bleedin. We’s gonna die ere together. Yir bleedin faster then me.
Buzzards oscillate above them. Their shadows eclipsing the bodies. That grow more still with each word.
-I should shoot ya, I should.
-Then what? I’s be yir trophy? Can’t do that with a man. Taint right.
-Taint right? Who are ya to decide what’s right? With all the thieven and murderin ya been doin.
-Ya been thieven and murderin too! Yir no different. We just be shootin at each other. Shootin at our enemies. Bang. Bang.
-I am the law. I am different.
Laughter cramps his body. Blood drips from the exit wound on his stomach. He crosses his arms over it and moans in pain. Once it subsides the laughter continues.
-Yir a great law man. Dying next ta a thief.
-I’s goin to Heaven. My killin was fir God.
-Fir God! Ya wanted me sheriff. Ya coulda given me up to the marshals. Ya coulda given me up ta God, long ago.
-BUT YIR MINE! TAINT NO MAN ER GOD TAKEN THAT FRUMM ME!
Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough.
Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough.
-Yir Mine. Ya ere me!
Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough.
Cough. Cough. Cough.
-Sheriff? Sheriff? Don’t leave me sheriff…don’t leave me ta die alone…sheriff?
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dying Sheriff. Dying Thief. by A.j. Binash )
- Beyond Season, Mist or Mystery, Ananta Madhavan
- The Weight of the World, Katinka Havermans
- I am a Lover without a Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I, Katinka Havermans
- Foolligent [Fool + Intelligent], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Hope, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Searching for a Happy Heart, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Window, Md. Ziaul Haque
- ‘Watch' is a Celebrity!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Please Listen to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- November, Thomas Hood
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Letter from Italy, Joseph Addison
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 January 1820 – 28 May 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)