Conrad Potter Aiken
The parrot, screeching, flew out into the darkness,
Circled three times above the upturned faces
With a great whir of brilliant outspread wings,
And then returned to stagger on her finger.
She bowed and smiled, eliciting applause. . .
The property man hated her dirty birds.
But it had taken years—yes, years—to train them,
To shoulder flags, strike bells by tweaking strings,
Or climb sedately little flights of stairs.
When they were stubborn, she tapped them with a wand,
And her eyes glittered a little under the eyebrows.
The red one flapped and flapped on a swinging wire;
The little white ones winked round yellow eyes.
Conrad Potter Aiken's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Duval's Birds by Conrad Potter Aiken )
- 구미(구미) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《구미(구미) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●대구 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구(대구) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘대구 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙대구 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구 ANMA ¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿ 대구 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- Woods, Only Woods, Hollywood, Bollywood,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Drunkard Saheb Lying Fallen And His .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Circles, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Oxygen of life, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Orospu, Muzaffer Akin
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fine Days, Orhan Veli Kanik
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The House of My Childhood, Dilip Chitre
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
James Russell Lowell
(22 February 1819 – 12 August 1891)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)