Oh, I have often wondered to countries over seas
To places where other folk love and long to be
But I always return to my dear old homeland
Where people salute you by a wave of the hand
There is one spot in mind that is dearest to me -
Duncannon Village, by the sunny south sea -
With its bustling harbour where fishing trawlers land
And its sandy seashore with its golden strand.
Life is simple and day passes, so peaceful and quite,
Until the clouds gather and the winds howl at the fall of night,
Then prayers are recited for the men fishing the sea,
For those fathers, husbands and sons to return safe and free.
Some nights drag on when squalls take control,
It’s then when the family pray for a comforting console.
Then morning arrives, they watch the horizon for boats to sail in,
Safe and sound and homeward bound, their payers take a win.
Over head, sea birds glide back and forth and cry out,
Fish are unloaded from vessels as men hurry about.
One old villager shouts, “It was a good catch today! ”
“That it was” says another. “Please God there’s many more on the way”
T’is from here I found idea to carry me to this page,
I don’t know if ever it will earn me a wage
But till then I’ll continue to gather my thoughts and to write down
My love for that great place, that fishing village so renowned.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Duncannon Harbour by mai venn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Tazkera–e-bewafa …………, shaik sahal
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- A Song Of Joys, Walt Whitman
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman