Driving A Car or Giving My Nationality to My Child
I AM A MECCAN WOMAN;
Or A WOMAN from MAKKAH
In HEJAZ; The WESTERN
Region in Arabia;
Known, now, as Saudi Arabia.
The centre of the world
And THE CENTRE of ISLAM.
I am The Saudi Woman,
Who gives her Nationality
To her child While Egyptian
Women and Libanese Ones
Still cannot do so.
They are still trying hard
To convince their Law
To give their childrens rights to have
Legal papers like their own.
I am The Saudi Woman whom
The whole world cry out of
Sadness for me, because the law
In my country does not allow
Me yet to drive a car.
But they do
Not say a word about my giving
My nationality to my children.
I am the saudi woman
Who still have some problems
In my country concerning issue
Of women’s independence,
And there are still some idiots
In my country that call women
Who drive cars: whores; something
Similar to the terrorist's
Way of thinking.
I am one of Khadijah’s off spring
Who inherited some of her strength,
And dare to propose to my equal
Knight, If God ever bring him close
To my door.
I am the strong saudi woman
Who went to the Saudi prince’s
Office saying: ” I don’t want my
Austrian Arab fiancé to go astray,
While waiting for legal permission,
So please sign me paper of acceptance
So that I can make Islamic marriage
Until procedures are finished.
I am the strong non selfish
Saudi woman who can say
To her husband I can bear
Seeing in your arms another
Woman or rather WIFE,
But I can’t stand seeing you
Tortured in Hell because of adultry;
To me this is genuine love
And true care.
I am the saudi woman whose
Mind is preoccupied
With far more important
Issues other than the luxury
Of women driving cars.
Though I suffered
When my son was a child
From my inability
I care far more for well
Organized public transportation.
I want women to be
Free from unfair brothers
Or even fathers who abuse
Them instead of protecting
I am the Saudi Arabic Woman
Who LOVES her MOUNTAINS,
HILLS, SAND, FLYING BIRDS and
HOLY LAND, who wants
Development not according
To Western views, but according
To the Arabs’ roots that created
Great Andlucia, Cairo, Damascus
Qurtaj and Baghdad;
The Muslims who hate bloodshedding
And treat well all humanity
Especially Christians and TRUE Jews,
Because their religions are mentioned
In the Qur’an not the ones
Who abuse others or steal the land.
I am The saudi Woman who wants
Fast development, but certainly
According to my own nation’s pace.
nadia abduljabbar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Driving A Car or Giving My Nationality to My Child by nadia abduljabbar )
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Harold Shipman's Crime, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- Thank You KP, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Lament for Zenocrate, Christopher Marlowe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)