Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short]
A plastic-coated steel cable stretches taut across our elevated spacious deck.
This clothesline’s meant to last longer than me and keep our drying clothes in check.
I’ve altered it to ensure it does its job, though faced with mighty winds, ......
UNLESS there is some failure of hangers, or of clothes pins with which our clothes are pinned.....
Today I watched as our hanging T-shirts put on a grand display;
they tossed and turned like dervishes but did not blow away.
And later when I’d brought the clothes indoors, after they were dry,
I watched as three kinds of birds landed on the line, and then, off again, they did fly......
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Kind Santa, lee fones
- The Farmworker, Terry Dawson
- blow up doll, lee fones
- Please Mommy, Stephen Morris Jr
- Bruce Lee, A Star Sinked in the Sea of Art, Joseph Oladehinde Ibikunle
- rude book, lee fones
- To Rise Again, Tom Zart
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(14 December 1895 – 18 November 1952)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)