Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short]
A plastic-coated steel cable stretches taut across our elevated spacious deck.
This clothesline’s meant to last longer than me and keep our drying clothes in check.
I’ve altered it to ensure it does its job, though faced with mighty winds, ......
UNLESS there is some failure of hangers, or of clothes pins with which our clothes are pinned.....
Today I watched as our hanging T-shirts put on a grand display;
they tossed and turned like dervishes but did not blow away.
And later when I’d brought the clothes indoors, after they were dry,
I watched as three kinds of birds landed on the line, and then, off again, they did fly......
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Double-duty Clothesline...... [Domestic life; drying clothes outdoors; birds; short] by Bri Edwards )
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Beyond, Fabrizio Frosini
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong
- For they were lovers each-other, Pijush Biswas
- Textology - 2. Exclamations, Joseph Archer
- Si boru puas si boru Bakkara, molu dung .., Mapung Madura
- I Wore The Fox, Naveed Akram
- Clearing the void, Phil's Writings
- The Treacherous Bride, Asaolu Abayomi
- Them, Tanja Henderson
- It is time for me to go home, Leong Ming Loong
- Forsaken For Your Sake, Asma Riaz Khan